I was doing my usual reading last night in the blogosphere and came across an amazing blog which led me to an even more amazing blog. Social networking sites have made us want to share the most positive attributes of our life and hide the not so positive parts. As a result of this desire to be deemed
cool, we tend to fabricate and glorify even the most inert of situations. The gloss of instagram, hashtags of twitter and “like button” of Facebook glamorize our lives and create a version of it that we want the world to see.
The things I’m afraid to tell you…
We have become a generation afraid of our imperfections, fears and shortcomings. It stops here and now. I feel for growth to happen, one must face the music and deal with areas that are major chinks in the armour.
1. I am terrified of failure. This fear of failure has made me not attempt certain projects in my life and I pride myself on being very cautious and careful but that is just an excuse for not having the balls to try certain things.
2. I am sometimes unsure about my appearance. I have struggled for years with confidence and its only now that I am getting into the twilight of my twenties that I seem to have accepted that I have a round face and small-ish eyes…
3. I have a fear of crowds which makes me really awkward whenever I am in a crowded place.
4. I have close to NO people skills at all. Small talk paralyzes me. ( The random conversation at the printer at work, the elevator) I SUCK at it..
5. Eye contact scares the poop out of me.
6. I cannot open my eyes under water..
7. I have managed stellar undergraduate and postgraduate accolades but I still feel I don’t know what I am doing.
8. I don’t really know why Tupac and Biggie were upset with each other.
9. I pretty much never know the lyrics to any song…
10. I can never really afford the lifestyle I lead. I always find myself having to spend money I did not budget for in order to satisfy this unquenchable thirst for the finer things.
Ladies and Gentlemen, allow me to reintroduce myself… I am very far from perfect.
Wow… Oddly this wasn’t quite as bad as I thought it was going to be. Join the movement and create your own list. Sarcastic facebook updates, superficial tweets, pictures of cocktails and nightclub bathrooms. When will it all end …. ? Challenge yourself, let the world know what your real life is like…
A blogger by the name of Jess Constable inspired this blog. I salute you…