Cupid, the Roman God of love (apparently)… A small winged little boy who is believed to be armed with a bow and arrow. The arrow makes the target fall in love once struck. We have all experienced the effects of Cupid’s arrows and that funny feeling in your tummy.
When I look back at the movies and moments that really explained the concept of love and the effects , one particular movie and soundtrack comes to mind.
Sleepless in Seattle,a 1993 classic with Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks. The movie has so many things that we take for granted in our relationships put very simply.We tend to forget that you have to go the extra mile to get what you want in a relationship/marriage.
Society and the moral decay we face has managed to rob us all of that courageous leap of faith we are meant to take. Falling for someone without a single worry in the world that you might get hurt or eventually become a raging alcoholic ( my humble definition of how love should be )
The crescendo of the movie is the iconic meeting of Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan on top of the Empire State Building. The movie is filled with so many musical gems and because of this it lies at the apex of my top ten movie soundtracks of all time.
Allow me to share:
- “As Time Goes By” by Jimmy Durante – 2:28
- “A Kiss to Build a Dream On” by Louis Armstrong – 3:01
- “Stardust” by Nat King Cole – 3:15
- “Makin’ Whoopee” by Dr. John featuring Rickie Lee Jones – 4:09
- “In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning” by Carly Simon – 3:16
- “Back in the Saddle Again” by Gene Autry – 2:36
- “Bye Bye Blackbird” by Joe Cocker – 3:30
- “A Wink and a Smile” by Harry Connick, Jr. – 4:08
- “Stand by Your Man” by Tammy Wynette – 2:41
- “An Affair to Remember” by Marc Shaiman – 2:31
- “Make Someone Happy” by Jimmy Durante – 1:52
- “When I Fall in Love” by Celine Dion and Clive Griffin – 4:21
The proof that we still have happy endings and if you want to be reminded what you should be grateful for in your relationship, this is the movie for you. Take a moment to appreciate the score and how every song adds that much more to the events that unfold. Although the movie is shot in Seattle and Baltimore, the Brooklyn Bridge makes a brief appearance again (random trivia)Fight for what you believe in, get drunk with love, don’t hold back. Life is too short to be careful when it comes to love. You could miss out on something really special.Over n’ Out